Randy McMurchy wrote:
Randy McMurchy wrote these words on 04/14/05 17:24 CST:

Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 04/14/05 17:08 CST:

Estimated build time: < 0.1 SBU

To me, the *lack* of precision in this example is much more misleading that what we have now.

Let's say for the sake of roundness, binutils takes 2.5 minutes (two
and one-half). Now 0.1 SBU would be 15 seconds.

This would be way wrong for a package that compiles and installs
in one, or two seconds. To the point it would look like we didn't
know how to do elementary calculations.

I initially overlooked the less than sign in your example. With
the less than sign, it now makes sense to me. It would work, for
example, a machine that takes 10 minutes to do binutils, we are
saying that a < 0.1 SBU package would take under a minute.

That would probably work, as SBU's are bit of a stretch to pinpoint
accurately. Too many unknowns. It's not just CPU speed, but the
speed of the disk, amount of RAM and other variables we can't
account for.

Right. Perhaps to make it more obvious we should say:

  Estimated build time: less than 0.1 SBU