Tushar Teredesai wrote these words on 09/02/05 23:09 CST:

> You could rename ss.h and libss.so and libss.a before installing
> heimdal and then copy them back after installation. Heimdal would be
> linked against libss.so.0 so it does not matter whether libss.so
> points to libss.so.0 or libss.so.2. And packages installed further
> down the line will link against the greater version of the lib.

You make excellent and very valid points here. And the only way
anything should really be affected is if they link to the libss
library, expecting to find a specific version (though I'm not sure
that *anything* actually links to libss) and bombs because there
are incompatibilities.

I will be rebuilding one of my local network machines here soon,
and will do as you recommend. I've left the bug open for now, but
as soon as I can determine that putting the E2fsprogs version of
libss and its interface header back the way it was, and having
Heimdal's version renamed to something else, and all works well,
I will update the book and close the bug.

Thanks for the help, Tush.

BTW - I've updated the book so that the interface headers installed
by Heimdal that overwrite Glibc headers is fixed. The libss header
and library (symlink,static lib} from the E2fsprogs package is the
only outstanding issue at this point. Right now, the E2fsprogs stuff
is renamed and preserved.

--
Randy

23:51:00 up 153 days, 23:24, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.09