Matthew Burgess wrote these words on 09/13/05 13:41 CST:

> I've finally gotten a USB flash-disk based Digital Audio Player.  This
> is the kind of thing that an automounter should really be able to
> handle, so that things are handled in as much of a plug and play manner
> as possible.  With that in mind, and remembering that dbus and hal have
> been mentioned before, are there any timescales or even tentative plans
> for them to be included?

As soon as I finish with GNOME, I will add D-BUS and HAL to the book.
GNOME natively supports HAL version >0.50 now, and it appears to work
well. I've almost got GNOME installed (2.12) and will be updating the
book soon. Unfortunately, KDE still want the old HAL API and probably
won't work with HAL version >-0.50. I installed KDE before D-BUS and
HAL, so I can't say for sure, but I did look at the configure script,
and I don't think the newer HAL will work with KDE.

I have what I think are good installation methods, and bootscripts
already created for both D-BUS and HAL. If you want to send notes,
that would be great, don't go to a lot of trouble, just what you
think are gotchas. For example, if you start the D-BUS daemon, and
then install HAL and try to fire up the HAL daemon, you will not
get anywhere. You must shut down the D-BUS daemon after HAL is
installed, then restart D-BUS and then start the HAL daemon.

I have these projects on the very near (within a week) horizon.

1. Get David to update GTK+-2, Glib-2, ATK and Pango.
2. Add cairo to the book.
3. Add D-BUS to the book.
4. Add HAL to the book.
5. Update GNOME to 2.12.0.

Does this give you a good idea of my plans, Matt?

--
Randy

13:44:00 up 164 days, 13:17, 3 users, load average: 0.21, 0.06, 0.15