Randy McMurchy wrote:
Andy, I would like to ask you another favor. Did you create a pkgconfig
file for Xrender so you could install cairo with the Xlib backend? cairo
looks for an xrender.pc file to determine CFLAGS and libs. I'll need to
put this information in the cairo instructions.

If you have one, could you post it? If you didn't create one, could you
identify the version of Xrender installed by XFree and post that?

I used this xrender.pc . I install X in /usr, hence the Cflags: and Libs: lines are a little bit simpler than if X is installed in /usr/X11R6 .
I used the output of the libXft-2.1.7 configure script to determine the the
version of Xrender installed by XFree. It says

checking for xrender >= 0.8.2... yes
checking XRENDER_CFLAGS...
checking XRENDER_LIBS... -lXrender -lX11

I don't know how it worked out it was 0.8.2 (I had put 0.8.3 in the xrender.pc
file at the time..) but it works for me.
I know, I shouldn't have to install libXft, it's installed as part of XFree86, but one of the gnome apps (I think it was gnome-desktop) complained that the version was too old so had to install libXft-2.1.7 over the top of the XFree one.
I don't think I'll be using XFree much longer. The main reason I use it is
because I used to find that Xnest worked better than on xorg. But since the
move to gtk compiling against cairo, applications running in an Xnest window
are very slow to draw themselves so I hardly use it. I like the idea of the
modular Xorg so I'll try that when it's out.

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include