Archaic wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 01:15:46AM -0500, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
>>Thoughts from the group would be appreciated...
>

> A generic users groups seems like it could be a security nightmare for a
> sysadmin. People who do need to share files generally belong to a
> descriptive group such as research, marketing, admin, etc... and they
> are put in those groups deliberately and not because useradd said 'x'
> gid was where they should go.

I think that means that Randy is right, and we need a short explanation.
 Your reasoning should go in it.  But in the end it's a sysadmin
decision and will depend on the situation, and that needs to be made clear.

There will always be a minority of BLFS readers who want a
'prescription', but we should tell them forcibly that they are going to
have to 'think' rather than 'cut&paste'.  I'd then change the package
instructions to take out the prescriptive groups and say 'Create a
unique group and unpriviledged user...'.

R.