To get gnome-volume-manager to automount my stuff I had to get it
running first.  When I clicked on the "Removable Drives and Media"
menu item it automounted my stuff so I figured if I get that running
in my session, I should be able to automount, which I can.

So I stuck this in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/31-gvm (where my dbus was
30-dbus, not sure if dbus has to be started before gvm, but it doesn't
hurt ;).

if [ "`which gnome-volume-manager 2>/dev/null`" != "" ]; then
        gnome-volume-manager&
fi

Might not be the most elegant way or the best, but it works.
--
Kevin Jordan