Juerg Billeter wrote:
On Don, 2005-09-29 at 23:41 +0100, Andrew Benton wrote:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/mp3 auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0

Works for me, whatever the filesystem on the USB device. Works for mp3
players, Sony PSP, digital camera, USB portable hard drive etc. No
need for HAL or DBUS, just click on the computer icon in the Nautilus
taskbar then click on the icon you want (in this case mp3). The only
thing my kids haven't got the hang of yet is remembering to right
click and `Unmount Volume' before they unplug it...it means they have
to reboot if they want to plug it in again.

Well, that's more a workaround than anything else. Try plugging in
multiple usb devices or devices with no or multiple partitions,... And
IIRC unplugging without unmounting is not that problematic here -
assuming you weren't writing to the device at the moment, of course.

It's a workaround that works. If we needed to plug in multiple USB devices at
the same time it would be up to me as a system administrator to configure fstab
and udev rules so that everything works. It seems to me this is fundamental to
LFS - it teaches you how to run your own system. The value of HAL and D-BUS is
for distros that will be installed by people who don't want to know how it
works, they just want to plug in something and have the computer cope with it
for them. To me, it doesn't fit in a LFS system. Just my two pence.
Andy