Dan Nicholson wrote:
On 10/5/05, Randy McMurchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Andrew Benton wrote these words on 10/05/05 12:54 CST:

<off topic>It seems to me that there is some dead wood that should be pruned from
BLFS. glib-1.2 hasn't been able to compile unpatched since gcc-3.3. I'd drop  it as
unmaintained, along with all the gtk1 applications. Gnome-1, Xmms, bin the lot of them.
That would create some space for some new things. Maybe there should be a page about
OpenBox?</off topic>

I'll disagree here. There are many useful GTK+-1 applications out
there. XMMS being one of them. Noted on the XMMS home page:

Second that.  For XMMS alone, it's worth keeping glib-1, gtk+-1.

Drop xmms. The only MP3 players that can deal with id3v1 tags properly in UTF-8 locales without patching are Beep Media Player and Kaffeine. Beep Media Player is essentially a gtk2-based clone of xmms with some features added.

As for gtk1, I was going to write the following note about it:

This package's default style files in /etc/gtk don't work in UTF-8 locales. Changing font encoding to "iso10646-1" in /etc/gtk/gtkrc.[language] fixes the problem. Beware that KDE and GNOME also set GTK styles (in ~/.kde/share/config/gtkrc and ~/.gtkrc), so these files also may need some manual editing. Since such configuration is fragile, it is recommended to avoid installation of gtk1 (and all applications that depend on it) if UTF-8 locales are going to be used.

This brings up a task: build as much of BLFS as possible without gtk1. Find packages that incorrectly state that they depend / don't depend on GTK1. Bug 1483 (closed) is the beginning.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov