Andrew Benton wrote:

There are plenty of other things that should be in BLFS. A peer to peer application (Gtk-Gnutella) a GUI video editor (avi-demux) and the file browser ROX

ROX insists that filenames are UTF-8 encoded. This means either an UTF-8 locale or a deviation from POSIX (POSIX implies that filenames are stored on disk in the locale encoding when it describes the "tar" program). Such "UTF-8 locale is required" statements are bugs, always.

Testcase: create a file with non-ASCII characters in its name, using a command line. Point a mouse on top of it, in order to see a hint. You'll see: "This filename is not valid UTF-8. You should rename it". As already mentioned, this warning is in contradiction with POSIX. Worse, new files and directories are created with UTF-8 encoded filenames even in non-UTF-8 locales. "ls" won't displey them correctly.

It is OK to include ROX Filer into a hint as long as this (upstream status: wontfix) bug is mentioned and a link to the UTF-8 locale capable version of the LFS book is added:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~alexander/lfs-book/

I think it is not a good idea to include ROX into BLFS book until my UTF-8 LFS book gains some official status (i.e., at least a branch in the official SVN repository).

--
Alexander E. Patrakov