Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Richard A Downing wrote:
>
>> there
>> may well be some packages we should add that ONLY work in Chinese or
>> Japanese in the longer term (we may be asked to do this by new friends,
>> and we should be open to that idea).  I emphasise though that this needs
>> to be driven by those who can validate it, not by expecting Randy and
>> Bruce and the rest of us to understand how Chinese syntax works (I can
>> do Japanese at a pinch, though).
>

> Could you please download the latest UTF-8 livecd:
>
> http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/lfslivecd/lfslivecd-x86-6.x-utf8-r1-nosrc.iso
>
> and verify that Japanese (via Anthy + SCIM) works correctly in X? The
> setup differs from what is described in jlenv.txt hint because I wanted
> to aviod daemons as much as possible. Sorry for not including jfbterm.

Alexander,

When I say 'at a pinch', I mean: with quite a lot of trouble to set it
up.  It's not something I want to do - and I really do believe that a
native Japanese speaker (not some westener who happens to have learned
elementary Japanese and can read Hiragana, Katakana and a few hundred
Kanji) needs to validate it.  I'm not a fluent japanese speaker, and
certainly not a fluent Japanese reader/writer.

If there isn't a native japanese speaker in the user group, we shouldn't
worry until there is.

And I'm also busy with other things right now.  Sorry.

My mail to the list was meant more as a philosophical/political
statement than a specific course of action.

Richard.