Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Richard A Downing wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry I started this again now.  I have to say I am more confused
>> than ever.  Do the guys (I use the term loosly, as 'imbeciles' seems
>> more appropriate right now) upstream have any idea of the difficulties
>> they are creating by this almost undocumented mess?
>

> No, the major part of the mess comes from the premature desire to remove
> the hotplug package before upstream provides a patchless way to do so
> and doesn't declare it obsolete for at least a month (as happened with
> udevsynthesize).
>
>> I didn't have a clue how to answer Alex's question.  Where (or when) is
>> the document you read to find out.  (anyone replying 'read xyz
>> mailinglist archives' may fall on his sword without further ado...)
>

> Enough information is contained in my message that contains the
> question. The key phrase is that one hotplug event corresponds to one
> directory in sysfs. I assume that you are able to find entries in your
> sysfs that correspond to each of your devices.
>
> For a USB printer with linux-2.6.14-rc4 there will be the following
> hotplug events (recorded with udevmonitor --env):
>
> First event: .....

Alex,
Thanks for taking the time to write this.  It is much appreciated.  I am
going to go very quiet for a few days while I make sure I completely
understand it.  It looks like experimental evidence is needed.

All,
I used to take the view (before I retired) that if:  you found the right
expert; were convinced they understood the problem; and then took their
advice - that you didn't need to fully understand the topic yourself -
indeed there were more complicated things about than one person could
understand completely.  Although I'm minded to trust Alex on this,
perhaps it needs just a little more understanding on my part than usual.

Thanks to all for their forbearance with the old fellow.

R.