On Mit, 2005-12-14 at 18:37 -0600, DJ Lucas wrote:
> Jürg Billeter wrote:
>

> > Having an OpenOffice.org build
> > break after 7 or more hours or having to rebuild the whole beast due to
> > a minor but important change in one small part is just ridiculously
> > time-consuming.
>
> OT: Actually, that's a sad misconception.  As much as I've bitched and
> moaned about it, the OOo build system could be fairly nice with better
> documentation.  The size is what is so scarry.  You only need to rebuild
> the parts that would depend on a change by using
> 'rm -r[f] [some dependant package]/unxlngi6.pro'.
> Knowing which parts those are is the tricky part.  Unfortunately, there
> is no way to really pass that knowledge on in the book....actually, just
> check out the hacking guide(s), but it's moving, again.

I know that the "meta-build" normally can be continued but it's not
always easy, e.g. when you realize that just the configure option
combination you've used has been broken (again) and no patch is
available yet. Or you see a runtime bug and have already deleted the
build tree. Sometimes even if it'd be possible it's not desirable as
e.g. I normally run the build fully scripted to create a binary package
and I want to ensure that it's a clean build so I always restart the
build when I'm confident that it shouldn't break now...

So, enough off-topic ;)

Jürg

--
Juerg Billeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>