El Lunes, 19 de Diciembre de 2005 19:38, Randy McMurchy escribió:
> M.Canales.es wrote these words on 12/19/05 12:15 CST:
> > .- Required: The minimum set of packages that must have installed to can
> > build the package. All must be BLFS packages.
>
> This should not be necessary to define. Simply having packages
> listed under a heading that says "Required" is enough.

For consistency it should be defined. If not defined, "Required" could meant
also "Required by the BLFS build commands", that is a different thing.

> > .- Recommend: Packaged required to can have the basic/common features
> > expected by the users. All should be BLFS packages and the build
> > instructions should assume that has been installed.
>
> Here is where Tush and I disagree with the direction the "Recommended"
> dependencies has gone. Who decides what is "basic/common features
> expected by the users"?

Until now has been decided by the package's editor, including you, with good
criteria.

The list of current packages with recommended dependencies is long:

~/jhablfs/commands$ grep -rl "RECOMMENDED" .
./postlfs/linux-pam
./postlfs/heimdal
./postlfs/vim
./general/librsvg
./general/imlib2
./general/imagemagick
./general/tidy
./general/sysstat
./general/hal
./general/gcc
./general/php
./basicnet/ethereal
./server/leafnode
./server/openldap
./x/qt
./x/pango
./x/gtk2
./kde/aRts
./kde/kdelibs
./kde/kdebase
./kde/kdeadmin
./kde/kdenetwork
./kde/kdepim
./kde/kdemultimedia
./kde/kdegraphics
./kde/kdeutils
./kde/kdeedu
./kde/kdesdk
./kde/kdevelop
./kde/kdewebdev
./kde/kdebindings
./kde/kdeaccessibility
./kde/kdetoys
./kde/kdegames
./kde/kdeartwork
./kde/kdeaddons
./kde/kde-i18n
./gnome/gnome-desktop
./gnome/gnome-media
./xsoft/AbiWord
./xsoft/gimp
./xsoft/evolution
./xsoft/koffice
./xsoft/openoffice
./xsoft/mozilla
./xsoft/thunderbird
./multimedia/vorbistools
./multimedia/transcode
./multimedia/cdrdao
./pst/cups

For example, in HAL you place PCIUtils as a recommended dependency, but libusb
as optional

> > .- Optional: The rest of build-time dependencies. Can be external
> > packages and could have their needed configure switches discussed in the
> > "Commands explanation" section.
>
> I disagree that packages other than the one the page is for should
> be discussed. Each page (package) in the BLFS book is a description
> of that specific package. Why would we consider adding information
> about other packages to the page? If a package not in the BLFS book
> needs to be described, then it should get its own page. Optional
> packages not in the book simply need to be listed. I believe that is
> how it is now.

I'm spoking about the current optional configure switches discsussed on
several package's pages to add support for optional dependencies (or to
dissable recomended ones).

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia