Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 12/19/05 13:36 CST:

> The editor who writes it up. :)

And then subject to change every time a different Editor updates
the package. Yuck. Just what we need, changes in what is recommended,
even though the package didn't fundamentally change. Can you say
'inconsistent'. :-)

> BLFS has several places where we present recommendations.  Every place
> we have --prefix, we are fundamentally making a recommendation because
> that is not where the developers put the files by default.

You are making reference to something that is governed by policy.
It is already documented why and when we use --prefix=/usr and
--prefix=/opt/something. There is no opinion or emotions affecting
this decision. It was what was decided by the community long ago
and if there will ever be a change to this policy, I would hope
it would be discussed within the community before implemented.

Editorial:

I suppose what is nagging at me the most about this topic of
Editors having authority to decide what should or should not be
recommended is the fact that you've flat out said things don't
have to be discussed. The Editor just does it, and if something
isn't well received by the community, to then open a discussion.

But history has shown that un-implementing something does not
always happen. It is much more difficult to undo, than it is to
discuss in the first place and then implement.

I remember long ago, when a couple of Editors (one being "The
Editor" at the time) told me, "there really is no difference in
the roles you and I have other than I have commit privileges."

I always took that as the Editors only implement what the community
as a whole (democratically, when there were conflicts within the
community) desired. If a fundamental change was desired for a
package, it would be discussed before being implemented. This was
always my understanding.

Was I mistaken? Or has there been a slow gradual move to bestow
carte blanche authority to the Editors?

(Understand that I realize, and agree with, the notion that
Editors have been given the role of Editor because they
demonstrated ability and good judgment. The good judgment part
being critical to the current topic of discussion. We must
respect that the Editors of the various books are doing their
best to fulfill the wishes of the community, but how are those
wishes determined if discussion of changes isn't required?)

--
Randy

13:39:00 up 85 days, 23:03, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.18