Justin R. Knierim wrote:
Bruce Dubbs wrote:

Unfortunately, the method that XOrg has come up with sucks. 200 separate CMMI packages is not reasonable. They need to package them up similar to KDE's packages. They make Gnome look like a small task.
Yeah, you are right, it is unreasonable. Does anyone know if each package will be separately updated? I am assuming yes (why else would they split it up like that! ;)), which means just making one big Xorg-7.0.tar.bz2 file on the lfs ftp mirrors would be difficult also. I am dreading maintaining that many packages on the ftp mirrors, even with my scripts. :-/

I was thinking about that. Maybe break it up into logical hunks like the xorg cvs tree. Xorg-Proto-7.0.tar.bz2, Xorg-Libs-7.0.tar.bz2, Xorg-Apps-7.0.tar.bz2... That really depends on how much of a moving target it really is, so only time will tell.

Issue a wget to fetch all the packages.
Run a script to CMMI the packages in the correct order.
Describe what the script does.
Write documentation page(s) that summarizes each package.
Sounds good!  It is probably the best solution.

Another option is to break a single page into subsections for each major 'project?' (proto, lib, apps, driver, server...). Create a single file (cat > proto.wget << "EOF"...EOF) with each module commented in the required order and have the user remove comments for the needed parts (or the reverse is probably better). Use wget to fetch the packagages into a subdir, and a simple for in do loop.

Here is a section for proto:
===============
mkdir proto &&
cd proto
===============

Create the package list for wget:
============================
cat > proto.wget << "EOF"
AppleWM-Proto-1.0.0.tar.gz
EOF
============================

Now edit the wget script to suit your needs and get the packages:
===================
wget -B http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.0/src/proto/ \
    -i proto.wget -c
===================

Verify that there are no errors and then build the entire set of packages:
confargs='--prefix=/usr --some_other_flags'
for package in ./*.tar.*
do
  tar -xf $package
  packagedir=``echo $package | sed 's/\.tar.*//'
  cd $packagedir &&
# not sure if we need to provide an absolute path to config.cache for
# various path depth targets, so just to be safe.  Thanks Tushar for
# that.
  ./configure $confargs --config-cache $PWD/../config.cache &&
  make &&
  make install &&
  cd ../ &&
# Some might considered this is dangerous.  As written it wont get
# there if cd $packagedir fails on you.  Well, as intended to be written
# anyway as I've not actually tested it.
  rm -rf $packagedir
done

I believe there were a couple exceptions noted by Thomas elsewhere in this thread for certain deps that fall outside those constraints, but it could also be done on a single page I think. I could try a quick play with it over the holiday if nobody gets around to it first, as I would like to build the release anyway very soon.

-- DJ Lucas