On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 23:59 -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Archaic wrote these words on 12/26/05 23:41 CST:
>
> > Forgive my pedantic need, but are you hoping /usr doesn't get used or
> > /usr/X11R7 doesnt' get used?
>
> I like large packages installed in their own neat little place. This
> is how *I* like it. It has always worked well for me. Whether X ends
> up in /usr/X11R2007 or /opt/x11 or /whereeverthehelliputit is not
> important. To me, it is easiest on my systems to isolate large
> packages.

IMO Xorg 7.0 is not a large package anymore, it's just a distribution of
small packages, so I see no reason to isolate it at all. It feels more
like an integral part of the sytem when installed in /usr and I like
that. I only use /opt for binary packages which can't be easily
integrated into the /usr hierarchy in a nice way.

Jürg
--
Jürg Billeter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>