Alexander has given us some very nice info on i18n that we can include
in the book.  In some cases, he works around to font issue in
explanations for the xml.

We should probably try to incorporate actual characters in the book when
appropriate.  A set of pages I like to search for entities as defined in
html4 is at:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/

For cyrillic examples, we can probably get by with the characters found at:

http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML2/bycodes.html

For instance in the example below,

U00401, CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER IO             , IOcy

we can use Ё

In testing, the text mode cyrillic entities (e.g. Ё) were not
recognized on my system.

Alex, if yo have any input on this issue, please let us know.