Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Please, offer some suggestions of what should be removed. I would
> be against removing most, if not all. BLFS is a guide to installing
> the various open source packages out there. It certainly is not
> comprehensive, or even close to being all-inclusive. It is just a
> helpful guide for folks that like to build their own software and
> not use pre-compiled binaries.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about Chris' suggestion. In some ways I
agree... LFS/BLFS have always said that they are written for advanced
Linux users, and yet, there are several places where they spell out so
much that it attracts the type of users that are so frustrating to support.

It would definitely help the workload if some packages in BLFS were
removed. For starters, perhaps BLFS could employ a policy that any that
are just a simple CMMI install (or ones which are easy to tweak by
referencing ./configure --help) won't have an entire page. Where they
are dependencies of other packages, link to an appendix which contains
just a URL to the developer site and any small notes about known issues,
ie, patches/i18n/multilib.

--
JH