Bruce Dubbs wrote:

<snip>
What in a shell script is different from a set of commands executed one
at a time form the command prompt?  Effectively nothing.  However,
scripts in a file provides easier replication and modification.

I don't want to have the book say "download this script and execute it",
but there really isn't a problem with a set of any valid shell commands,
even if they start to get a bit long.

Well said, Bruce. Maybe I gave the wrong impression by sending the script. My intent was to provide a set of commands that don't need much maintenance and can be presented to the reader outside the paradigm of automation.

Sorry if I clouded the issue.

Dan