Andrew Benton wrote:
Dan Nicholson wrote:
Hey, Andy, here's a test I thought of.  I'm not on my Linux box to do
it myself, and you seem like you have a good setup for the test.

In /etc/fonts/conf.d, there should be a file called no-bitmaps.conf
(in fontconfig-2.3.2+ there is).  Change the name to
10-no-bitmaps.conf or make a symbolic link.  fc will only read files
in that directory that start with 2 numbers.  The contents of that
file tell fc to reject non-scalable fonts.

After restarting X, you can see if the behavior with firefox is the
same.  Might have to look at fc-cache and fc-list to see if fc
actually updated or not. I don't know it's behavior in that respect. fc-list alone would probably be enough to see whether it skips the
bitmap fonts by default.

Yes you're right, renaming /etc/fonts/conf.d/no-bitmaps.conf to 10-no-bitmaps.conf makes Firefox unable to render Japanese glyphs so those are bitmap fonts. I got the same result from building xorg-7 with it's fonts in /usr/share/X11/fonts and just putting a symlink to the TrueType fonts in /usr/share/fonts. In my opinion, if Firefox and other Fontconfig dependent apps cannot render Chinese or Japanese glyphs that is a bug.

Yes.

The solution is to install bitmap fonts in a location where Fontconfig can find them. I think the wise thing to do would be to put things back to the way they were and install fonts in /usr/share/fonts...

The standard (and more correct) solution is to install TTF fonts that contain Chinese glyphs instead of relying upon the fonts that come with Xorg.

Please install the Firefly font for Chinese, Kochi fonts for Japanese and Baekmuk for Korean.

Yes, DejaVu fonts are for European languages only.

http://cle.linux.org.tw/fonts/FireFly/fireflysung-1.3.0.tar.gz
http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.jp/efont/4845/kochi-substitute-20030628.tar.bz2
http://kldp.net/frs/download.php/1429/baekmuk-ttf-2.2.tar.gz

--