Guys, in #lfs-support on irc I see 3 people building 6.2 -pre1 with
glibc-2.4 right now. Now, those are the only 3 that said it, there may
be more. The instructions work and it's not going to break anything
while building the base system but, later when they try to run, mainly
samba, it's not going to work. Samba is the only package I've seen this
in but I know there are more. I'm just giving you the heads up on an
error that I think you're going to be seeing a lot of in the future.

smbd: gconv_db.c:232: __gconv_release_step: Assertion `step->__end_fct
== ((void *)0)' failed.
all 3, smbd, nmbd, and winbindd all show this error when starting up
with a empty LANG env variable.

This patch fixes the issue and a re-compile of glibc is needed.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/downloads/glibc/glibc-2.4-iconv_fix-1.patch

NOTE: This patch is needed _only_ with glibc-2.4 and is fixed upstream.