Allard Welter wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space

The arrows, element signs etc. came up as cute little blocks with numbers in them. As a physics student I'm probably a little biased, it was kind of as an illustration.
For the original poster (too late):

If you install all X fonts into /usr/share/fonts and attempt to print this, the result will be poor: bitmap fonts are bad for printing.

Now install FreeFont and DejaVu fonts. Check how the LFS LiveCD 6.2-2 renders this (you can even convert to PostScript from there) and you'll see that the book describes the correct setup.

For the editors:

I think that the book should describe not only "how" to achieve the described (counter-intuitive but correct) setup, but also "why" it has been decided to implement it, and what are the deficiencies in the "obvious" setups.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov