Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:29:14 -0700
From: "Dan Nicholson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gsview and ghostscript
To: "BLFS Development List" <blfs-dev@linuxfromscratch.org>

On 9/29/06, Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sorry if this duplicates a discussion you've
already had, I didn't see any recent posts
about it.

I think this is a new one.

The blfs development book says that either
AFPL Ghostscript-8.53 or ESP Ghostscript-8.15.2
are required for Gsview-4.7. I originally
installed ESP Ghostscript-8.15.2 because I
understood from the book that it has support
for CUPS, whereas AFPL Ghostscript-8.53 does
not. However after installing gsview-4.7 I
got the following error when trying to open
a postscript file:

<snip error>

I also noticed in the Gsview readme file that
AFPL Ghostscript was specifically mentioned as
a requirement. So I uninstalled ESP Ghostscript
and installed AFPL Ghostscript instead, and I
was able to open the same postscript file
without any problems. Has anyone successfully
used gsview-4.7 with ESP Ghostscript-8.15.2?
If not I'm wondering if ESP Ghostscript should
be removed from the list of prerequisites for
gsview-4.7 in the book.

It's been a long time since I used gsview, and I have no idea if it
works with ESP. Could you open a bug about this? You need to create an
account and then click New Ticket here:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/

Incidentally, AFPL Ghostscript is now GPL'd, so I think ESP can go
away after a while.

http://www.ghostscript.com/awki/News

Thanks for the report.

--
Dan

I created a ticket about this problem. It's
the first time I've done this so I hope I
did it correctly.

Richard