I'm hoping some people on the list can help save me some time. There's
currently a  bug #2172 about how XFCE needs to have the
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS variable set to /etc/xdg to see the menus even though
that's the default location.

When I started to investigate why this would happen, I realized that
something we've always attributed to desktop-file-utils is something
that each desktop implements the way they see fit. I'm talking about
creating the menus, and there's a specification on freedesktop.org
call the XDG Base Directory Specification.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

So, I'd like somebody who actually has multiple of the major desktop
environments (gnome, kde and xfce) to run some test cases for me. I
really only ever build gnome, and I don't have a lot of interest in
building all of KDE to find out whether this is the right fix or not.

Basically, the solution I think is the right thing to do from reading
various bugs and looking at the source code in glib2 and libxfce4util
is to always set XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS. See the last
comment here:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/ticket/2172#comment:12

Any takers?

--