Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 04/21/08 18:37 CST:
>> Today I finally spent some time addressing a few patches people have
>> sent in about compressdoc and some other bugs I noticed along the way.
>
> I appreciate your efforts, though I sort of look at repairing the
> compressdoc script akin to fixing an old 386 computer.
>
> Just my opinion, but it's time to move on and not worry about saving
> a few megabytes of disk space. Embedded systems wouldn't have man pages,
> so I simply see no need to compress man pages.

I agree.  My system has 68M of man pages uncompressed.  Even If I saved 100%,
it
  wouldn't be noticeable.

In the military, we had a saying:  measure with a micrometer, mark it with a
grease pencil, and cut it with an ax.  Somehow that seems appropriate here.

On the other hand, it might be relevant if someone was trying to squeeze as
much
as possible on a CDROM (not DVD).

> But I do admire Dan's work.

Me too.