> I think the first thing most people install is ssl/ssh so you c/an ssh into
> the
> box and run additional builds from another workstation that has a gui.

I believe that with the advent of all these virtualization platforms
out there, this is not necessarily true, cf. my actual case.

> That said, I think you are right about ssl being needed for xorg-server.  In
> configure is the comment:
>
> # OpenSSL used for SHA1 hashing in render/glyph.c, but we don't need all of
> # the OpenSSL libraries, just libcrypto
>
> If you logged the configure command, look for the message:
>   error: Package requirements (openssl) were not met:  ...
>
> I'm surprised that configure didn't fail.

Bugs me too, tho I'm not an autoconf guru... Anyways the actual output
of configure didn't mention anything related to openssl but config.log
has this:

configure:33092: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "openssl"
Package openssl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing 'openssl.pc'
No package 'openssl' found
configure:33095: $? = 1
configure:33256: checking if SVR4 needs to be defined

Of course I'd been better off installing ssh beforehand, so I hadn't
had to type above lines instead of copy-pasting. J

Sorry if I was overly proactive with this.

-Bob.