On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 02:42:21PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
> > It takes over an hour to build glibc or gcc.  BLFS is roughly 10 minutes.
>
> Actually on my system, LFS takes 56 seconds and BLFS takes 3m23s.
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
>
> Sometimes it indeed seems like 10 minutes.  :)
>
>    -- Bruce

 I've moaned about the time to render the BLFS book in the past
(running an old athlon64 2000MHz, but with the memory detuned so
that the mobo could handle a massive 4 sticks of DRAM), but
since then I've had to upgrade it (the via chipset on the old mobo
didn't understand current SATA drives), The base system is
a very *old* version of CLFS, and I'm now running an athlon II x2
255 in 64-bit mode (3100Mhz, but using the 'ondemand' cpufreq driver,
so it usually starts processing at 2x800MHz).  This has nearly 8GB
of RAM [ well, it does have 8GB, but the built-in radeon VGA takes
some of it ].

 LFS (r9573)  0m27.413s
 BLFS (r8896) 2m12.084s

 So, trying to render the books on old hardware is probably not a
good idea, and I assume that more memory is always a good idea.

 FWIW, my current 'server' idles at about 67W (according to the
power meter I had plugged in), which is a bit more than the previous
one - maybe an extra 10W : not good for the planet or my electricity
bills, but I'll live with that (I needed more disk space for my
photos).

ĸen