Hi,

RE: LFS 6.5, 6.7, 6.8

I have been able to upgrade udev to 173, but since then, the attempts to
upgrade to 174 or directly to 175 have not succeeded.

Systems boot until the error message (I am reading and typing):

"fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1
Possibly non-existent device?                                     [ Fail ]
FAILURE:

File system errors were encountered that could not be fixed automatically. This
system cannot continue to boot and will therefore be halted until those errors
are fixed manually by a System Administrator.

After you press Enter, this system will be halted and powered off."

Earlier failure, in the boot sequence:

"Activating all swap files/partitions...
swapon: /dev/sda5: stat failed: No such file or directory        [ Fail ]"

I have changed some kernel configurations, according to

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

"General Setup --->
  (Make sure the following item is *not* enabled)
  [ ] enable deprecated sysfs features to support old userspace tools

File Systems --->
  [*] Inotify support for userspace
  Pseudo filesystems --->
    [*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)"

And, according to

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-853210.html?sid=b6152f1a6c2d0dee8ef9eb5d2f24ef80

"Device drivers ---->
   Generic Driver Options ---->
         [*] Maintain a devtmpfs filesystem to mount at /dev
         [*]    Automount devtmpfs at /dev, after the kernel mounted the rootfs"

Finally, I cannot understand why in LFS-6.5 the
udev-173-define-trigger-happy.patch is necessary, but not in 6.7 and 6.8.

[]s,
Fernando de Oliveira
Natal, RN, BRAZIL