On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 00:15:33 +1100
Wayne Blaszczyk <wblas...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Could I make one suggestion.
> Can we have the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins as the directory, and symlink
> to this rather than the other way around as it is now.
> This way, the plugins will not be tie to a specific version of Firefox
> and save the user trouble of copying them across every time Firefox is
> upgraded.

Fernando de Oliveira has just made a good point about this on BLFS
Support. If we put plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins they'll be found
by all Mozilla products including Thunderbird. This raises security
concerns, if there is an exploitable bug in a plugin. I seem to recall
that there were some problems with Adobe's pdf plugin. Certainly flash
has its bugs. Whatever. The bugs are all there in the browser. If the
user wants an email application that can render html they may well like
to have plugins enabled too. Personally I prefer Sylpheed because it
doesn't render html but each to their own.

What do other people think? Should I change the Firefox/Xulrunner pages
so they don't suggest putting the plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins?

Andy