DJ Lucas wrote:
> What is the purpose of the libtirpc patch? It builds fine without it on
> development LFS. I notice that the rpc-headers tarball does not contain
> all of the rpcsvc/ headers, is this the reason for the patch? From a
> casual glance, it doesn't appear so. I don't see anything in the three
> omitted files that would keep them from building (except possibly the
> exclusion of <rpc/netdb.h> which I suspect is not included in <netdb.h>
> on unpatched glibc). Ultimately, libnsl and librpc will contain all of
> the necessary symbols until a new major version of glibc. So, my
> question is, should we be installing the headers separately at all, or
> should libtirpc be using a local copy of the needed headers until it
> provides its own complete implementation?

Although libtirpc builds, rpcbind does not build without the patch:

gcc -g -O2 -o rpcbind check_bound.o rpcbind.o rpcb_svc_4.o
rpcb_svc_com.o util.o pmap_svc.o rpcb_stat.o rpcb_svc.o security.o
warmstart.o  /lib/libtirpc.so -lnsl -lpthread   -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/lib
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/lib
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `key_encryptsession_pk'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `getnetname'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `_des_crypt_call'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `getpublickey'
/lib/libtirpc.so: undefined reference to `key_gendes'

> Ultimately, we are providing old functionality via glibc, that is not
> intended to carry on beyond the next major version. Wouldn't it be
> better to provide these headers only to libtirpc, and then symlink the
> installed headers into /usr, or better, patch dependent packages to use
> the /usr/include/tirpc/rpc{,svc}/ path? I think I might put a bit more
> time into this, but I'd like to hear specific details regarding the
> above points from those who have worked on it thus far. Since I don't
> have a real 7.0 build laying around, I'm gonna rebuild glibc quick
> without the patch and see what is actually in the installed headers.

They are just headers.  I don't want to jump through hoops for every
package that expects the headers in /usr/include/rpc{,svc}