On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 06:08:45 -0800 (PST)
Fernando de Oliveira <fam...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> I do not know the meaning of make -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN). Please,
> educate me.

Oops, sorry, that was copy and pasted from one of my scripts and I
didn't notice it.
getconf is installed by glibc.
getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN returns the number of processors your
computer has, or appears to have (on a hyperthreading intel CPU with
only one core it will appear to have 2 cores due to hyperthreading).
The -j option to make runs multiple jobs in parallel, this is useful
if you have multiple CPU cores as it can use all the cores and speed up
the build. So make -j$(getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN) runs make and adjusts
the number of jobs it runs according to the system it is running on.
This is useful if the script is to be run on several different machines.

Andy