On 03/11/2012 06:36 PM, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 15:49:44 +0000
> "Armin K."<kre...@email.com>  wrote:
>
>> Fifth one is also about Gnome 3.4. I think that I've also mentioned this
>> one, but let's revise. Gnome 3.4 has been working on replacing
>> ConsoleKit sessin management with systemd one. Of course, ConsoleKit can
>> still be used. Now, I am not sure if explicit disable of systemd is
>> required if you don't have it, but I had to explicitly disable systemd
>> usage because I already use systemd.
>
> Do you use it to run your bootscripts?

Yes, it can run sysvinit bootscripts from /etc/rc.d/rc{0..6}.d if they
have correct LSB headers, but I tend to provide native systemd units for
every package I install.

>>   So, if book is going to use systemd
>> at some point,
>
>> From the discussions I've seen on LFS Dev the phrase "cold day in hell"
> springs to mind ;)
> I don't have any strong feelings on systemd. It seems to have some
> interesting features but the benefits of using it look small to me.
>
> Andy

It is not about systemd, it is about ConsoleKit ... ConsoleKit has been
discontinued in favour of systemd-logind (new user seat manager), and it
is just question of time when we will have to add it in the book for
that sake. As for an init system, it is very fast, but it does have some
unnecesary features for "normal users" and yet even worse, too many
features for "minimalists" ... But that can be trimmed down. I may write
a blog entry about systemd and BLFS ... I'll let you know.