 Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 04:49:18PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> Which device is that?  /dev/dri/card0?  I'd think the kernel/udev would
> create it at boot.  I don't have an ATI graphics card to test, but I'm
> interested.  I'll look at the source, but I need to know what to look for.
>
>    -- Bruce
 Seems to be.  Note that it isn't specific to ati, it's for *all*
cards or vm's supported by Mesa.  (Sorry for the "greengrocer's
apostrophe" - didn't want anyone to think I was referring to VMS.)
And in case anyone missed what started this - even a user NOT in the
video group can use the Software Rasterizer (Mesa's swrast driver),
but not hardware acceleration.

ken@ac4tv ~ $ls -lr /dev/dri/
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 226, 64 Apr  7 18:29 controlD64
crw-rw---- 1 root video 226,  0 Apr  7 18:29 card0
ken@ac4tv ~ $

 Revised version of the proposed changes are now at
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/tmp/blfs-book-DRI/general/clutter.html
(well, that's the easiest way in) with a link to the main change in
the Note at the top of that page.  The link renders nicely this
time, so I daren't change it, too much voodoo in docbook 8)

 The important stuff is the changes in xorg-config, changes in
clutter (apart from the link), metacity, mutter, totem are really
just minor rewording now that I understand the hw/sw acceleration a
little more.

ĸen