On 05/23/2012 07:00 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I decided to explore using an ssd drive.  I purchased a 40G Intel SSD
> and so far it works well with SVN-20120514.
>
> I created a GPT partition table with a 10G partition using parted and
> formatted as ext4.
>
> The performance seems to be good.  htparm gives me about 230 GB/s which
> is more than twice as fast as my usual drives that give about 105 GB/s.
>
> My question is how to best use the new drive in BLFS.  I thought of /opt
> and /usr.  I don't think /home would be very good and of course I could
> try to mount it as /mnt/lfs and use it as /.
>
> What would you try first?
>
>     -- Bruce

I have been using an SSD and a reg HD for about 1 month now

here is how I setup the file system.

/etc/fstab
#    These part are on the SSD
/dev/sdb1 /boot ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
/dev/sdb2 / ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1

#    These part are on the HD
/dev/mapper/lvm-home /home ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/lvm-media /media ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
/dev/mapper/lvm-swap swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/lvm-var /var ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1

You should set discard on all the part that are on the SSD to enable TRIM.