Armin K. wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 11:02 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Hm, we might have a problem. Mesa 8.1 release is scheduled to be
> released on 17.8 according to
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2012-May/021473.html and
> I would like to see it in released BLFS since it brings so many
> improvements for NVidia, VMware and Intel dri and gallium drivers
> (probably radeon too, but I don't have such hardware to test it). Also,
> it is required if we want to include libdrm >> 2.4.33 for new Nouveau
> driver and other ones. I guess we could split packages in a month. I
> have one week or so to finish this exam stuff so I can help there too.
> It's just the Mesa that is bugging me. Would you agree if at least first
> 8.1 rc gets released before freeze that we add it, so we could later do
> possibly minor changes of upgrading it to stable release (yeah, that
> conflicts with package freeze, but I don't see any other option). I am
> not familiar with freeze stuff, but I guess we could not harm anything
> by upgrading to "bugfix" releases then, right?

The reason for a freeze is so that everyone is testing the same things
and we are checking that packages fit together and run properly.  We
have a couple of options here.  We could make an exception for Mesa and
libdrm and add those as exceptions to the freeze period.  We could also
push the projected freeze to mid August and the projected release to mid
September.

The problem with delaying is that something else is almost sure to come
up.  With about 700 packages in both LFS/BLFS, there are a lot of
package releases all the time.