On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 09:42:26PM +0200, Ragnar Thomsen wrote:
> On Thursday 28 June 2012 14:05:45 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Armin K. wrote:
> > > I was looking at TCP Wrapper and there is really no use for it on modern
> > > Linux kernels. It's real purpose were monitoring and filtering network
> > > access to some services iirc. But today Netfilter and Iptables do that
> > > and lot more, so I suggest we remove it and don't even mention it. It's
> > > way too old, unmaintained and imho unnecesary today.
> >

> > It is a very old program.  The date I see is 1997.  On the other hand, I
> > don't think it is any effort to just leave it in the book.
> >
> > What do others think?
>
> To reduce the complexity of the book, I think the more old obsolete packages
> we remove the better. If no packages require TCP-wrappers, I suggest we
> remove
> it.

 I've always built it since I first had a home network, in the
belief that it was expected.  Most distros still carry it, but I see
that Arch dropped it last year, so I suppose we can do the same.

 Can't say I'm in a rush to work out what to put into iptables
scripts to replace it, but that's not a reason to keep it in the
book.

ĸen