On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 07:15:20 +0100
DJ Lucas <d...@linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> We need to add the MimeType to the .desktop files for Firefox and
> Thunderbird. These are required to make them the default handlers in
> Gnome and KDE. I believe there are other ways in both, but I haven't
> looked in KDE, and haven't been able to figure it out in Gnome yet, but
> this is the way the spec wants it. I'm not sure about LXDE and XFCE...do
> they follow freedesktop.org standard?

I don't know. With XFCE the firefox.desktop file that's in the book
shows up in the menu. If I click on a html file in Thunar a dialog pops
up that asks me to pick an application. If I add a MimeType line to the
firefox.desktop it makes no difference, it still doesn't suggest to use
Firefox, I still have to choose it from all the others. Once I've
chosen it I can make it the default so it's not something that needs to
be done every time. It only needs to be done once for each mime type.

> Also, the "--enable-calendar"
> switch is not included in the Thunderbird mozconfig that is in the book.

I've never used this calendar but if it's useful to some people that's
fine. Maybe we could put the option in the mozconfig with a line that
says:

# If you want to compile the Mozilla Calendar, uncomment this line:
# ac_add_options --enable-calendar

> What I have for mime types is...
>
> Firefox:
> MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
>
> Thunderbird:
> MimeType=text/calendar;text/x-vcard;text/directory;application/mbox;message/rfc822;x-scheme-handler/mailto;x-scheme-handler/news;x-scheme-handler/snews;x-scheme-handler/nntp;x-scheme-handler/feed

Fair enough. Those line make no difference that I'm aware of to LXPanel
or to XFCE but I don't think it'll do any harm and if it helps someone
then it should go in the book.

Andy