On 08/20/2012 11:17 PM, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote these words on 08/20/12 15:56 CST:
>> Sounds like a good plan overall, but for me I don't know which libraries
>> go with Gnome.  For instance pango and gtk+ are in the section labelled
>> X libraries.  I know these packages are also used outside of Gnome.
>> Should there be a separate section, something like Gnome General Purpose
>> Libraries?
>
> The concern involves upgrading GLib, GTK+, Pango, etc. to the next series
> of development. For instance, GLib is using the 2.32.x series. Moving to
> the 2.34.x series could cause breakage to GNOME proper, so we don't do
> those updates until GNOME itself is updated.
>
> However, minor point releases of the packages I listed can be updated
> without harming GNOME (in almost all cases). The minor point releases
> sometimes contain security updates that would be a hassle to backport.
> It is easier to just update to the minor point release.

Yes, I almost agree, but GNOME itself makes point releases, so it is
easier for person that upgrades from lets say 3.4.0 to 3.4.1 to upgrade
everything. The exception would be the fixes after official releases -
3.4.1 was last official GNOME release, but some packages are at .4
already, so in that case you can create tickets if you like.