On 10/09/2012 06:33 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Armin K. wrote:
>
>   >   From what I see, your command would attempt to use either sudo or su
>   > even if ran as root user. Maybe some kind of "am I root?" checking
>   > should be done there before trying to check for sudo or execute su if
>   > sudo is not present.
>
> as_root()
> {
>     if   [ $EUID = 0 ];        then $*
>     elif [ -x /usr/bin/sudo ]; then sudo $*
>     else                            su -c \\"$*\\"
>     fi
> }
>
> export -f as_root
>
> The spacing may be slightly overdone.
>
>     -- Bruce

Looks better. But, I have a suggestion. Let's include the "script" into
instructions, for example:

if [ $EUID = 0 ]; then make install
elif [ -x /usr/bin/sudo ]; then sudo make install
else su -c "make install"
fi

Add it by default instead of "AS_ROOT make install", but explain how
should it be used and what it really does.

What do you say?