I'm back on my amended buildscripts, and one of the things I've now
got are logs of what files got modified while a package was
built/installed [ in other words, on a running system other things
than the install might be involved ].  I was *surprised* to discover
that xine-ui-0.99.7 overwrote the files in /usr/share/mime from
/shared/mime-info-1.0, as well as adding two of its own.

 Anyone know if this matters ?  At the moment I don't have time to
compare them, so I'm throwing this out in the hope someone will say
"oh yes, we know that, and it is OK|a-bad-idea" ;-)

ĸen