I was trying to build k3b today and ran into some problems with ffmpeg.
  I did apply the existing patch, but that wasn't enough.

Searching the web, I found

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde3/2012-07/msg00019.html

Applying the equivalent of this patch allowed the program to build and
it did work OK for the limited use I wanted (rip a CD).  Note that the
reference is for kde3, but I was building for KDE4.  Looking at the
details, this appears to be an issue with libavformat (from ffmpeg), not
a kde issue.

If someone can confirm, I'll update the patch and reference it in the book.

I note that the package does not seem to have been updated in almost two
years.  Searching the web, I don't see any decent alternatives
that create ogg files from a CD with appropriate metadata.