Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Earlier there was/is a discussion on why BLFS is adamant about describing
> the various commands/descriptions/parameters/options used in the instructions
> for BLFS packages. I would like to present a really good example why these
> trivial (to us Editors) blurbs in the book are important.
>
> Installing the Obexd package today I noticed:
>
> 1) There is a sed command that adds a header file to one of the .c files in
> the tarball before configure is run, there is no description of what it does
> in the "Command Explanations", and without the sed command the package builds
> and installs with no problems. Shouldn't readers be advised to why they must
> run this command that apparently does nothing to help the build?
>
> 2) There is a --sysconfdir=/etc switch to configure, yet there are no files
> installed to /etc and no explanation why this must be passed during the
> configure phase of the build. It seems as though the original editor who
> installed the package used it 'just in case' there may be configuration files
> in /etc. We cannot guess about this. We must be certain when we put stuff in
> the book. Otherwise, we look like we are guessing at configuration options.
>
> 3) The --libexecdir= switch points to a non-standard location. libexecdir
> location has always been /usr/lib/packagename, yet in the Obexd instructions,
> the location varies from this. Is this because other packages expect it to
> be where the libexecdir switch points to it, or simply because the Editor
> who originally put the package in BLFS decided to go against the standards
> that we have created?
>
> 4) The packages is a simple CMMI installation that varies from the standards
> that BLFS has been using for years and years. Shouldn't there be some sort
> of explanation why the instructions vary from the standards?
>
> Sorry for the rant, it got longer than I wanted, but I wanted to point out
> that (as Bruce said) BLFS is not a linear installation process. We do not
> know where a reader will start his/her BLFS adventure. So, because of this,
> we must realize that a reader needs information as much as possible, as
> mundane and redundant that it may seem to us Editors.

It's good for you to point these things out.  I sometimes do things too
quickly and thus get it wrong.  The sed for an include without
explanation may have been because of a large number of identical changes
needed (IIRC, I think it was embedded copies of gnulib and a change to
glibc).

I completely forgot about the --libexecdir blfs standard.

A --sysconfdir=/etc setting may have been needed at one time and I don't
always check things like that for a point release.

Thanks for the reminders.