Thank you guys for your answers!

Ken Moffat wrote:

 >  ISTR I added the backslash, with a comment explaining it, because
 > when I tried pasting what was in the book at that time it fubar'd.
 > From memory, the comment said that the backslash was for pasting
 > (because the mozconfig is now likely to be pasted, we no longer keep
 > a version in the BLFS repo).

  Close, but not correct - the explanation is in the paragraph above
the instructions to create the mozconfig :

"The commented line for --with-libxul-sdk has an escaped dollar sign
  - if you have chosed to paste the entries into a mozconfig file in
your editor, you do not need the escape, it is only necessary when
invoking a subshell in a HERE document."
I don't get it.
If I do

cat > mozconfig << "EOF"
#ac_add_options --with-libxul-sdk=\$(pkg-config --variable=sdkdir libxul)
EOF

cat mozconfig
#ac_add_options --with-libxul-sdk=\$(pkg-config --variable=sdkdir libxul)

cat > mozconfig << "EOF"
#ac_add_options --with-libxul-sdk=$(pkg-config --variable=sdkdir libxul)
EOF

cat mozconfig
#ac_add_options --with-libxul-sdk=$(pkg-config --variable=sdkdir libxul)

Thanos