> Comment (by ken@…):
>
>   OK, the further details : I've been analysing the coverage of my fonts
>   since December (I had too many!) and eventually decided to produce an
>   example pdf for each, to show the coverage (most writing systems), or (for
>   CJK) to show the glyphs which are likely to be different in some fonts.
>
>   Tedious, and I'm still a long way from completing.  But since you have
>   raised this, I've uploaded the WIP to
>   [http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zarniwhoop/ttf-font-analysis/].
>   Unfortunately the README.txt files are not showing up in my browser, which
>   is a pain.
>
>   The example-pdfs directory contains PDFs for those fonts I've so far
>   analysed. It also contains CJK-examples.pdf which contains the han glyphs
>   liable to differ in between simplified and traditional chinese, japanese
>   and korean.

Ken, moving to blfs-dev for discussion.

I like the pdf files for seeing how the fonts are actually rendered.
Since I'm mono-lingual, I generally don't use a lot of different fonts.
  Here is what I use:

xfce: sans
konsole: DejaVu Sans Mono
seamonkey:
   proportional: serif
   serif       : luxi serif
   sans-serif  : luxi serif
   cursive     : luxi serif
   fantasy     : luxi serif
   monospace   : DejaVu Sans Mono

That's pretty boring, but it seems to work for me.