I like to install xorg and related programs in /opt.  I noticed that the
instructions for several packages have changed so that only /usr is
presented.

For mesalib, I found that a couple of extra commands are needed.  I
suspect they are not using pkgconfig properly.

For the main build, I found I needed:

export C_INCLUDE_PATH=$XORG_PREFIX/include
make

For GLU, the instructions are a little skimpy in that we don't mention
that the user needs to do:

GLU=glu-9.0.0
tar -xf $DIR/$GLU.tar.bz2 &&
cd $GLU

Generally, we do specify the tarball extraction for all tarballs after
the first.  The variables are not really needed, but I find them convenient.

The GLU build also needs:

./configure --prefix=$XORG_PREFIX --disable-static
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$XORG_PREFIX/include
make

if building for a location other than /usr.

I am not recommending changes, but merely documenting what I found.