On Monday 11 Mar 2013 à 00:42:38 (+0000), Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 01:16:26AM +0100, Jean-Philippe MENGUAL wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm about finishing my lfs-7.3 and I'll build blfs against it. I'm going,
> > during the process, to work in parallel to contributing to the project. For
> > example, I'll send an blog article about quvi this week.
> >
> > Just now, my questions are:
> > - Interested in tags "&blfs_73" (is known to build against lfs-7.3" for
> > packages
> > I'll build?
>  I think Bruce already asked for _comments_ about packages that are
> known to build with 7.3.

Ok, so I'll do.

> > - interested to add brltty to the book?
> > - Interested to add Cython module for Python? It'd help brltty to build
> > against
> > Python3, as so far it can only build against python2.7, as pyrex only works
> > on python2.7. But pyrex seems deprecated, Cython is more recent and brltty
> > knows to build against it.
> >
> > For Cython, help would be welcome. For brltty I can give you a xml file.
> > It'll be
> > a good support to build speech-dispatcher, so all the orca's dependencies
> > would
> > be shipped in the book.
> >

>  My own feeling is that something like brltty needs someone who can
> use it and is willing to maintain it.  If you are that person, then
> I will support giving you editorial privileges when you are ready.

Yes, I would like to be the maintainer of brltty instructions. As well as
speech-dispatcher. It'd motivate me very much to feel useful for lfs community.
I write the xml file very soon.

> But just adding packages which no existing editor uses is likely to
> mean they never get updated and wither on the vine.

Well my purpose is to stay in lfs for a long time, as it matches to my global
new context regarding the computer and my approach of the GUI. I'd like to
precise too that I don't intend to add all packages missing from blfs, as blfs
will never be able to maintain thousands of packages (there's already a
pretty number of packages and hard to maintain). However, I'd like to add
things which bring a very useful thing: brltty is a recommended dependency of
orca, speech-dispatcher too. I think essential dependencies for packages
described
in the book should be described.

>  For Cython, what sort of help do you need ?  There are build
> instructions for gentoo (who are always keen on the
> [expletive-deleted!:) that is ] Python3, at
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/dev-python/cython/cython-0.18-r1.ebuild?view=markup
>
>  and for fedora at
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/Cython.git/log/

Ok thanks for these references, I'll try. Maybe this module would be useful too
to be added, so that brltty and orca could work together against Python3,
avoiding to install Python3 and 2 only for accessibility purposes.

Last thing: I consider that lfs has a major role to play in accessibility
theme, as with erulutions of the GUI, it can be very helpful to do experiences
directly from source instead of from a packaging filter; to build an
oriented-distros
or oriented-GUI, etc. That's why too I'd like to introduce the support for
these utilities in blfs.

Regards,