> I just ran into a minor problem building cups.  It appears that it
> prefers clang if it's available, but it doesn't build properly.  There
> is a linking problem -- something about -fPIC.
>
> The issue is easy enough to solve.  I just renamed /usr/bin/clang and
> restarted.  The question is whether a note about this in the book is
> warranted?

Renaming files is a bit messy. A cleaner solution is to do:

CC=gcc CXX=G++ ./confgure ...

A note in the book to this effect would be useful.

I also ran into a similar problem when compiling mysql but I haven't solved
that yet. I tried the mysql alternative, mariadb, but that failed with the
bison-3 problem and I haven't solved that one either.

jb.