Em 03-10-2013 19:28, Igor Živković escreveu:
> On 2013-10-03 23:12, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>>
>> One final remark: I believe that doxygen, and other doc programs should
>> be in the optional dependencies. What do you think?
>
> I didn't test building rsync's documentation. Feel free to fix the
> instructions.

As I wrote, I could not fix it and agree with what you did in the
update. If it depended only on myself, I would simply remove the docs
generation and install from the page.

But there are some less radical modifications that could still be done.

1. Doxygen-1.8.5

I do not know how helpful is the API docs, for people using BLFS. But if
it is maintained in the page, should be listed in Optional Requirements.
Furthermore, it required Graphviz to run correctly, thus, Graphviz
should be listed, too.

2. DocBook-utils-0.6.14

"Testing the DocBook SGML Toolchain (Optional)", from
docbook-dsssl-1.79, was perfect.

Despite many messages, the command:

docbook2html --nochunks rsync.sgml

apparently worked, the file "usr/share/doc/rsync-3.1.0/rsync.html" can
be browsed with firefox.

But

docbook2pdf             rsync.sgml

generated a .tex file (and many error messages), but no pdf, and the
other ones, generated only error messages. I do not know if these are
due to not having other corresponding packages installed.

I found that old versions of rsync only generated the rsync.html (only
the docbook2html command), and no doxygen was used.

Anyway, DocBook-utils-0.6.14 should be listed in "Optional", too, if the
suggestion to generate those docs remain in the page.

3. Summary

I have a feeling that the docs are not so useful to spend so much time
with their generation. The man page is already very good.

Either remove all docs generation, or:

a) Add Doxygen-1.8.5, Graphviz-2.34.0 and DocBook-utils-0.6.14 as
"Optional" requirements.

b) Remove or comment out the lines

docbook2pdf             rsync.sgml &&
docbook2ps              rsync.sgml &&
docbook2dvi             rsync.sgml &&
docbook2txt             rsync.sgml &&

But keep the "Estimated disk space required: 9.4 MB", not with the docs,
as you have done, so next updates would be simpler.

Hope I have written all the observations I did when studying this problem.

--
[]s,
Fernando