Ken Moffat wrote:

>   Yes, setting up scripts for each package is tedious (and so is
> revising everything to work differently).  But for perhaps 95% of
> everything I build I can start with a simple template to which I add
> the package/version, any patch(es), and sometimes one or two
> additional commands.  Once the script is working, it goes into my
> local git tree and then gets updated as necessary.  Of course, that
> does mean that later changes in the book's instructions only get
> incorporated into my scripts when/if I notice them.

I do something similar, although I don't put the scripts in a version
control system.  Right now, I think I have a script for every package in
the book, but that was built over a period of years.  My Makefiles have
a version attached such as make-ntp-4.2.6p5.  When I go to a new
version, I start from the previous version and update it.  I do check
the book's instructions every time to see if any instructions have
changed.  Sometimes my instructions are slightly different from the
book's instructions though because of dependencies, etc.