On 12/27/2013 01:26 PM, Pierre Labastie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may have seen, I have added xorg-env as a dependency of xbitmaps. But
> since xbitmaps is required by Xorg applications, which also requires mesalib,
> which requires xcb-proto and the like, it may be not necessary. However,
> theoretically, a user following the dependencies for X server backward may end
> up building xbitmaps as the first package in the X chapter (I agree that the
> probability is small). Furthermore xscreensaver requires only Xorg
> applications (well, that is king of weird to me, but Armin has arguments about
> the server running remotely). In this case, the probability is slightly
> higher.

Well, if not anything, please just seperate runtime from build time deps
as done with everything else. For example, I don't install anything
after Xorg Drivers (where I install 5 driver packages, 2 gpus, 2 input
and wacom driver for GNOME), and I skip  xcursor-themes and xorg fonts
since I much prefer using ttf-fonts and dmz-cursor-theme (from debian).
As Bruce mentioned, the X-Window-System dependency might be interpreted
as everything from Introduction to Testing in the chapter or shortly the
entire chapter.

You could create a "virtual package" (the kind of packages that
"provide" something in distros out there) where it would depend on a
Xorg Server, a window manager and a terminal emulator, where you could
choose a window manager/desktop environment and terminal emulator from
any of the available in the book.

Furthermore, I'd like to suggest adding same "virtual" package runtime
dependency for Xorg Server, one should be for an input driver, where
other should be for a DDX driver (xf86-video-*). One example of a
"virtual package" I am proposing is "a MTA" dependency, where it lists
all of the packages which provide sendmail command.

It is just a thought, and might be worth to implement but it's something
worth mentioning. After all, it should be our purpose to teach people
how something works together if I recall correctly.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.